Workshops and Training
I have been involved in teaching art to international audiences since 1974, when I was first invited to teach at Haystack Mountain Craft School in the U.S. Since then I have lectured and held workshops on African art, mosaic art, oil painting, printmaking, plastocast and especially bead-painting (making paintings with beads) an artform which I am credited with first popularizing in the 1960s.
The Yoruba people of Nigeria have traditionally incorporated beads in many of their artforms. In particular, their glittering look encouraged their use in decorating the King’s regalia, including crowns, shoes and walking sticks. My innovation was to adapt this traditional use to the more contemporary art form of painting. My interest today is to spread the gospel of bead-painting, especially to a younger generation.
Kids of all ages, from 8 years to 18 years, as well as adults, participate in my workshops. My main goals in teaching are to:
- Increase the sense of worth and uniqueness of individual participants;
- Instill discipline in participants (beadpainting being such a time consuming process);
- Reveal and encourage talents in the participants;
- Introduce participants to several aspects of African Art and Culture which form my creative process;
- Provide participants with technical skills;
- Share with participants my four decades of experience and research into this type of art.
- ArtsCool, City of Atlanta Bureau Of Cultural Affairs, Atlanta, Georgia USA, 2003
- Engage in Art Project, October Gallery, London, England, 2002
- Haverly Hey Primary School, Manchester, England, 2002
- Medlock Primary School, Manchester, England, 2002
- Art Teachers Workshop, Somerset, England, 2001
- Fulton Art Council, Atlanta, Georgia USA, 1998
- Bureau of Cultural Affairs, Atlanta, Georgia USA, 1998, 1997
- West Manour Arts Centre, Atlanta, Georgia USA, 1997
- Afro American Centre, Charlotte, North Carolina USA, 1997
- Winston-Salem State University, Winston-Salem, North Carolina USA, 1994
- Howard University, Washington, DC USA, 1990
- African Centre, London, England, 1985
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, 1980
- Commonwealth Institute, London, England, 1980
- Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana USA, 1975
- N.E. Missouri State College USA, 1974
- Haystack Mountain Craft School, Deer Isle, Maine USA, 1974
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, Nigeria, 1973
- Studio Museum Harlem, New York City, New York USA, 1973
Официален блог на WebEKM EKM
очаквайте сайта онлайн скоро.